Thursday, March 22, 2012

Response to Point/Counterpoint: Multitasking


Hi Class,

I decided to read the Point/Counterpoint article in the latest issue of ISTE’s magazine (March/April 2012).  The topic, Multitasking, particularly caught my eye because it is something I am horrible at!  I was curious to see what “the authorities” had to say on it, and to some degree, I was hoping to stroke my bruised un-multitasking ego a bit with reading the Bane response.

In the end I actually appreciated both the Boon and Bane responses.  Chris Stefanski, who wrote the Boon section, made some good points about the need for us to develop our multitasking abilities.  I hadn’t thought much about actively training and developing my multitasking abilities previously.  In fact, I figured I was just mono-tasking person by genetics.  It’s true that life in general, and our future jobs, in particular, are places where we will need to have a strong ability to jump from one task to another and then back again.  It’s a luxury to be able to do each task in a linear fashion, so developing an organizational system and some mental flexibility could help mono-taskers like me cope with the real world.

The Bane response was given by Dennis McElroy, who did manage to stroke my ego a bit by stating the simple fact that human brains just aren’t designed to tackle multiple tasks at one time.  The key seemed to lie in the complexity and magnitude of the tasks.  Few people can do several complex tasks at one time or even do one complex task while being distracted by powerful noises, aromas, or visuals.  However, doing one complex task with minor background stimulants can actually be beneficial. 

It seems like the key is to be well organized, exercise your ability to switch from task to task and back again, and use background stimulants to aid but not overpower.  Then we can try to get things done and not just have a heap of half-hearted and partially completed multi-tasked tasks!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment