Thursday, February 16, 2012

Response to "Point/CounterPoint: Is Blogging Worth the Risk?"


Hello Everyone,

Prior to this class I hadn’t written a blog.  Although it was mostly due to the fact that I didn’t have anything earth shattering to announce, there was also a bit of apprehension about posting my views in such an open forum.  My concerns mirrored Lisa Nielsen’s statements in her “NO” stance on the issue.  After hearing stories about others who had been criticized, alienated, and even sued over their postings online, it simply wasn’t worth the risk in my mind. 

James Maxlow’s “YES” stance made a couple very good arguments for blogging, however.  His comment about the importance of including our personal concerns in our professional communication struck a chord with me.  Having a personal interest in our career makes what we do everyday more fulfilling and much more than just “a job”.  I can see that blogging can be a powerful tool for professionals to be able to share ideas, learn from each other, and inspire one another.  The key, as Maxlow points out, is that the views posted should be “thoughtful and deliberate”.  So in addition to having a thick skin, if we choose our words carefully, keep in mind the effects on a broad audience, and consider the future implications of our statements before posting, then we should feel less inhibited about blogging.  This is one I’ll have to mull over a bit more.

See you next class!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment